Posts tagged ‘baby things’

January Finish

My January Lovely Year of Finishes goal was to make two more bibs with my 4-year old as a baby present for a friend. Done!

DSC_0237DSC_0235

My little guy picked out the fabrics and worked the pedal. I cut everything out and guided the fabric through the sewing machine. It was fun! I love sharing my sewing with him. Each bib is double sided (superman is hanging out with the rockets, the scientist animals are on the other side of the whales).

Advertisements

Little Miss Sunshine

Project Quilting: Season 6, Challenge 2

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. Don’t you know dear, how much I love you? Please don’t take my sunshine away…”

This week’s Project Quilting challenge had to be inspired by “sunrise/sunset“. I had very (VERY!) little time to sew this week, so I made a baby bib (I seem to be stuck on bibs lately) for my Little Miss Sunshine during the boys’ nap time this afternoon.

DSC_0225DSC_0226

I love quick and easy projects. I used strips from a jelly role to make this small project even quicker (no cutting up fabric into the right sizes!). The colours (reds/oranges on one side, blues on the other) are reminiscent of the sunrise/sunset skies. Pieced and quilted in Ontario, Canada.

December Finish

At the beginning of the month I made a Lovely Year of Finishes goal to complete a set of 12 bibs to give to my Little Miss for Christmas. She is 6 months old and just starting solids. After the messiness of her two older brothers, we are woefully understocked in terms of bibs.

This was my fastest finish this year! I used this pattern to work from (but omitted the food-catching snaps–at least for now).

DSC_0294

My 4-year old took a keen interest in “helping” with the bibs, and he was quite eager to rush from one stage to the next. He helped choose which fabrics went together (I won all of the food fabrics as part of the Project Quilting Season 5 Grocery Store Challenge last year), worked the pedal while I sewed up a few of the bibs, and picked out which colour of snaps to add to each bib (typically this resulted in multicolour snaps). I also had a chance to practice my free-motion quilting (which still needs a LOT of practice).

 

Now to keep the Little Miss semi-clean until Christmas…

June/July Finish

At the start of July my Lovely Year of Finishes goal was to make a stack of cloth diaper wipes from old flannel pajamas. Unfortunately, my 1-month old ended up back in the hospital for emergency surgery early in the month, and my life kind of fell to pieces for much of the month. (She’s home and doing very well now, thankfully.) Thus, I did very little again this month. But not to worry, this month my goal was completed for me by my mother-in-law, who spent a day making over five dozen cloth wipes for my little girl’s tushy. (Thank you!!!!) Not only are they super soft, but they look pretty too.

DSC_0602

My mother-in-law also got me started on my June goal (which was to convert our diaper convers from velcro to snaps), by removing all of the worn out velcro with the seamripper. I hate ripping stitches out, so this was also much appreciated. I finished the conversion by putting on the snaps.

DSC_0604

This month was a nice lesson in asking for and accepting help. Because sometimes having a project done is more important than doing it all myself.

July Goal

My July Lovely Year of Finishes goal is to make a stack of cloth diaper wipes. Our baby girl has been struggling with a yeast infection (thanks in part to several rounds of antibiotics) which is made worse and more painful by commercial wipes. So we’re switching back to a spray solution made from water, olive oil and tea tree oil, and using cloth wipes. So far this has made a huge difference on her tushie, but we’re a little short on wipes. I have a few set of old flannel pjs that I will cut into squares and then finish the edges. (Maybe next month I’ll attempt to convert the velcro diapers into snaps–she’s still far too little to fit them anyways.)

June Goal

My June Lovely Year of Finishes goal is to convert all of my velcro cloth diaper covers into snap covers. This means removing all of the old and worn out velcro, and putting on snaps. In total I think there are about seven or eight covers (give or take). With a baby being born (but not necessarily coming home with us) this month, these covers will soon be very much needed. However, given that our baby will be having a long stay in the NICU this month, I’m going to give myself a whole lot of grace if this month’s goal isn’t completed on time.

February Finish

At the beginning of February I made a goal for the Lovely Year of Finishes challenge to fix up our change pads in preparation for baby #3. Success!

Monster change pads

I found some very cute monster flannel along with a couple others that matched nicely. I used the same fabrics for both change pads partly because I picked up enough for both (and then some) and didn’t feel like making a second trip out, and partly because the boys liked them so much. I kept it simple. I used the original change pad fabric for the backside, and put a new vinyl layer (which came sandwiched between light batting layers and thus made the pads softer) on the inside.

Change pads with original fabric

Thus far the new pads seem far more durable, are a slightly better size, are snugglier, and elicit much more cooperation during diaper changes than the old ones.