Posts tagged ‘homemade clothing’

April Finish

At the beginning of April I made a goal for the Lovely Year of Finishes to sew a spring hoodie for my three-year old.

Hoodie

I had planned to follow the Tiger Hoodie Jacket pattern by Puperita. This pattern would have led to a sweater fully lined in an adorable way (which was why I originally chose this pattern). But the fabric my kiddo chose for the outside was a little too thick to line the inside; the sweater would have been much too bulky for such a little guy. So I modified the pattern to omit the lining. I still used the lining fabric he chose to make the pockets. (He LOVES the monkey and lion peeking out!) While my sewing skills still need some work and things don’t always match up where they should, I am pretty pleased with the end result.

I got my goal done early this month. (And while the weather is still appropriate for it!) This is also very helpful because I’m still in the starting phase of the April Project Quilting off-season challenge, and I expect it will take the next couple weeks to get this one done. One thing at a time…

April Goal

Over a month ago my three-year old picked fabrics for me to make him a spring sweater.

DSC_0193

It’s (hopefully) spring now, so it’s about time his sweater is ready. My April Lovely Year of Finishes goal is to get this sweater done.

Sweet Treats

Project Quilting: Season Five, Challenge Three

This week’s challenge for Project Quilting was to choose one or more candies as inspiration and make a “quilt” project from it/them. (Where “quilt” includes a project with patchwork, appliqué, or three layers stitched together.) My candy inspirations were Jolly Ranchers for the colours, and Sweethearts for the appliqué shape. My “quilt” was actually a toddler dress. I’ve been itching to make one for a friend for a while, but have never gotten around to it. I LOVE that I can use these challenges to be creative AND cross things off of my list of things I want to try out, even if these aren’t really quilts in the traditional sense of the word.

Front:

Image

Appliqué on the side:

Image

Back (with appliqué under the straps–I love how they kind of look like buttons):

Image

This was my first time sewing an article of clothing, which meant that it was my first time using a gathering stitch, making button holes, and paying really close attention to the pattern and directions. The sewing was much easier than I anticipated. (Which was good, considering that life had other plans than letting me sew this week.) I struggled a bit with trying to figure out how to make it a “quilt” without losing the simplicity of the dress, and still keeping the candy theme. I’m very happy with how it turned out.