Posts tagged ‘kids’

December Finish

At the beginning of the month I made a Lovely Year of Finishes goal to complete a set of 12 bibs to give to my Little Miss for Christmas. She is 6 months old and just starting solids. After the messiness of her two older brothers, we are woefully understocked in terms of bibs.

This was my fastest finish this year! I used this pattern to work from (but omitted the food-catching snaps–at least for now).

DSC_0294

My 4-year old took a keen interest in “helping” with the bibs, and he was quite eager to rush from one stage to the next. He helped choose which fabrics went together (I won all of the food fabrics as part of the Project Quilting Season 5 Grocery Store Challenge last year), worked the pedal while I sewed up a few of the bibs, and picked out which colour of snaps to add to each bib (typically this resulted in multicolour snaps). I also had a chance to practice my free-motion quilting (which still needs a LOT of practice).

 

Now to keep the Little Miss semi-clean until Christmas…

Advertisements

Fabric Crowns

My little guys got homemade fabric crowns this week. I’ve been sick all week and taking it easy. Yesterday I had enough energy to do some sewing. So much fun!

DSC_0489

My oldest loves his crown. He has been making himself paper crowns for the past few months, and I figured it was time he had one that wouldn’t rip. My youngest loves undoing the snaps on his crown (over and over and over).

I got the idea from a handmade prize being given away as part of the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day. After looking around the web for a pattern, I found this tutorial (I didn’t follow their instructions for making the crown, but the crown template itself was very helpful).

My little guy is now asking for a wizard’s cape, as he’s decided he wants to be a wizard for Halloween. I think I have just enough of the star fabric to make him one that matches his crown.

April Finish

At the beginning of April I made a goal for the Lovely Year of Finishes to sew a spring hoodie for my three-year old.

Hoodie

I had planned to follow the Tiger Hoodie Jacket pattern by Puperita. This pattern would have led to a sweater fully lined in an adorable way (which was why I originally chose this pattern). But the fabric my kiddo chose for the outside was a little too thick to line the inside; the sweater would have been much too bulky for such a little guy. So I modified the pattern to omit the lining. I still used the lining fabric he chose to make the pockets. (He LOVES the monkey and lion peeking out!) While my sewing skills still need some work and things don’t always match up where they should, I am pretty pleased with the end result.

I got my goal done early this month. (And while the weather is still appropriate for it!) This is also very helpful because I’m still in the starting phase of the April Project Quilting off-season challenge, and I expect it will take the next couple weeks to get this one done. One thing at a time…