Posts tagged ‘sewing for me’

Trees

Project Quilting: Season 6, Challenge 1

Project Quilting has started up again, with the first challenge being “Trees”. Last year I made a celtic knot quilt as a wedding present for a friend and my husband loved the knot work. So for the “Trees” challenge I made us a wall hanging in the same style. Since I have to give it a name, I’m going with “Growth”.

DSC_0157

The tree (all the brown fabric) is appliquéd. I found the design on Google Images, and there were lots of sources for the same image–I wish I could identify and give credit to the original artist because it is beautiful! It took me FOREVER to sew it down, thanks to all the details (oh the leaves!!!). I didn’t have time to include it for this challenge, but at some point in the future I’m going to quilt celtic knots into the corners. The greens and browns are much richer and darker in real life (boo flash!), but I’ll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get a good photo with natural light. The quilt is approximately 30 inches squared. Made in Ontario, Canada.

Advertisements

Measure Up – May Finish

Project Quilting: May Off-Season Challenge

At the beginning of the month I made a goal for a Lovely Year of Finishes to make a cozy little sleeve for my cell phone, so as to avoid more scratches on the screen protector when I throw it into my bag with my keys. I combined this goal with the Project Quilting May Off-Season Challenge, which was to create a quilt using “measurement” as inspiration. And ta-da! My cell phone will be very cozy.
DSC_0484

The fabric on the outside is “Flutterby Garden” by the Buggy Barn for Henry Glass & Co. I bought it a couple years ago and found it again while starting to turn my office (where my fabric was stored) into a nursery. It’s one of my favourites.

I quilted the sleeve upwards (i.e., measuring “up”) using the Fibonacci sequence in half centimetre increments from where the seam would be on the bottom when I sewed the sides together. (The photo below is the inside of the sleeve–though the colours are off in the photo–as the quilting showed up best on this fabric rather than the fabric I choose for the outside.)

DSC_0481

I was surprised at how much more comfortable and confident I am with my sewing, as this entire project took less than half an hour to complete (compared to the three hours it took me to make a much simpler wallet sleeve for my cards at this time last year). This was a small project, but one I’m very glad to have completed and it will be put to use immediately. Time to move onto all the projects (quilting and non-quilting) that need to get finished before our baby arrives in June.